Simple salmon recipes are an easy and convenient way to eat healthy meals on a regular basis. Salmon is packed with protein and is also a great source of B12 and B6 vitamins selenium, niacin, riboflavin and phosphorous. Also, a 3 1/2 ounce serving of salmon will provide you with 90 percent of your vitamin D daily requirement.
Most importantly, salmon has a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, which helps with fending off depression, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease and improve brain function and may also help with reducing prostate cancer as well.
When choosing salmon, it is better to select wild Alaskan salmon instead of Atlantic or farmed salmon, Wild salmon is healthier and more environmentally friendly. Farmed salmon contains higher levels of saturated fat and more contaminants. Fresh salmon can be kept refrigerated for one or two days, but should be used as soon as possible.
The key to moist, tender salmon is to make sure that you don’t overcook it. Fresh or thawed salmon fillets should be cooked using high heat. Allow seven to ten minutes per inch of thickness. Cook until the flesh of the salmon is opaque but still moist. For baked salmon brush the fish with melted butter or oil season with peppers and salt, and place in foil or greased baking dish into a 450 degree preheated oven. To broil, salmon, place the seasoned or marinated fish onto a greased broiled pan, approximately 4 to 5 inches from the preheated broiler. Steaming and poaching are other low fat methods for cooking salmon.
Super Simple Salmon Recipe
- 4 salmon fillets
- 4 lemon wedges
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs dried basil
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- Stir together the salt, basil and garlic powder into a small bowl.
- Rub the mixture in equal amounts into the salmon fillets.
- Melt butter in a skillet using medium heat.
- Add the salmon and cook in the butter until flaky and brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve salmon with lemon wedges.
Simple Baked Salmon Fillet Recipe
- 2 Salmon Fillets
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Minced Garlic
- 2 tbs Melted Butter
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- Place half of the ingredients into a baking dish.
- Place the salmon fillets (skin side down) in the dish.
- Take the other half of the ingredients and place onto the other side of the salmon.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the salmon for 15 to 20 minutes, until salmon flakes easily with a fork.
Simple Salmon with Scallion Ginger Sauce
This simple salmon recipes is very tasty. The sauce is very flavorful and light. It is fantastic spooned over rice.
- 2 Salmon Fillets
- 4 Sliced Scallions
- 1/4 C. Diced Fresh Ginger
- 3/4 C. Dry White Wine
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 C Water
- 1-2 Tbs Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Toasted Sesame Oil
- Pat salmon fillets dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper both sides of the fillets.
- Add a 10-12 inch heavy skillet to high heat.
- After hot, coat bottom of pan with olive oil.
- When the oil begins to smoke, place the salmon fillets in skillet, skin side down.
- Sear on high for one minute.
- Turn the heat down to medium and high and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Flip the fillets over and cover for another 2 minutes.
- Move the fillets to a rick and place them flesh side down. Remove the skin.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the ginger.
- Cook for one minute. Add the scallions.
- Cook for 30 seconds and then add the wine. Continue to deglaze until wine has reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce and water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for one to two minutes.
- Place the fillets into the pan, skinned side down, then simmer for one minute.
To serve: Place Salmon Fillets on a serving plate. Then spoon scallion/ginger sauce over the fillets and drizzle them with toasted sesame oil and chopped scallions for garnish. Serve with Orange Zested or Lemon Jasmine Rice.