A backyard patio with a cover to protect against the sun is a great place to enjoy the outdoors. Sometimes, however, a simple overhead cover is not enough.
Wind or glare from the sun can still spoil your otherwise comfortable patio. One of the best solutions to this problem is the use of patio shades (or sometimes called patio blinds).
Patio shades can be raised or lowered via a motorized crank or a hand crank. The motorized versions are very easy to operate making them the preferred choice if cost is not the biggest concern. The manual cranks are just as effective and similar to raising or lowering a large patio umbrella.
Let’s explore how these shades can improve the comfort of your patio:
- Patio shades are very similar to window shades but usually much bigger and stronger.
- They can be attached to the patio cover which allows them to be dropped or unrolled into place as needed.
- For patios without a covering, they will resemble a window awning that extends from the side of the house to provide the needed protection.
- Patio shades are usually made from durable fabrics or wood slats similar to those used to make blinds.
- They are normally weather treated to protect against the UV rays of the sun.
- They are also translucent to allow visibility outside even when the shades are down. This feature also allows sunlight to penetrate which helps keep the patio bright and allow air to circulate.
These shades also have some from of tie-down at the bottoms to keep them from flapping in the wind.
So what are the benefits of installing patio shades?
The most obvious is the added protection from the elements. Patio shades can provide a marked degree of cooling when rolled down making the patio much more comfortable on hot days. You can also lower them part way to block the sun’s glare or keep out wind driven rain.
A side benefit from patio shades is UV protection for everything else on your patio. No need to use patio furniture covers when the shades can provide all the protection you need.
These shades also enhance your outdoor dining and entertaining. They not only protect your food and table but also give some privacy from neighbors. Patio shades offer some unique ways to light you patio after dark as the shades reflect the light giving off a warm glow.
Finally, here’s a benefit I’d never thought of. They can help protect against errant golf balls and won’t break like a window or screen! Patio shades are as simple as they are useful. There are many different styles available to fit any patio decor. If you’re looking for a way to make your patio more comfortable then check out some shades instead of patio umbrellas.