Remodeling a bathroom is one of the best things you can do to improve the value of your home. Buyers are interested in updated kitchens and bathrooms. While a kitchen remodel may cost tens of thousands of dollars to accomplish, updating your bathroom can be accomplished for much less.
You will need to identify what you want to accomplish. Everyone has their own sense of style. Decide what style or theme you want to go with. Also, decide what items you want to upgrade. Will this be a complete remodel – ripping out all the existing features and replacing? Or will this be a partial remodel where you choose to replace only a few key features of the bathroom?
Decide on your budget and check stores carefully for sales and clearance items that will help you stay within your budget.
Let’s say you decide to spend under $5,000 dollars on your bathroom remodeling project. One neat idea is to redesign your bathroom around one beautiful item, such as a vessel sink. Vessel sinks are all the rage these days as they give an appearance of sophistication and luxury yet can be affordable as well, depending on the type of material you choose.
There are a variety of materials to choose, from glass to stone with so many options in between.
For under $5,000, HGTV design experts recommend replacing what you have in your current bathroom versus completely changing the layout of your bathroom.
Some ideas for remodeling the current layout include:
- If you cannot afford to replace tile completely, consider painting it.
- Replace the floors. Floors in bathrooms are not very large and can be inexpensive to replace
- Think outside the box, if you cannot afford to redo sheetrock or plaster, consider covering ceilings with wood or laminate floor to cover any blemishes.
- Paint and purchase new accessories i.e. towels, shower curtain, trash bins.
- With the cost savings from following these suggestions, you’ll be able to splurge on the one main centerpiece, the new vanity and vessel sink.
One idea for a new, yet inexpensive vanity is to build your own! This may seem intimidating but a new trend in bathrooms involves using antique furniture such as a dresser or dining room buffet as a vanity. This can be a do-it-yourself project and can allow you to allocate more money for the vessel sink that will really complete your new sophisticated bathroom.